Hey guys, I will preface this post with this.
I have NEVER used Exchange 2003, and I have had a not fun
experience in regards to getting it to work. So I will explain what has happened, and where I am today.
so the general problem is this. I cannot do anything with Exchange (I wanted to remove the organization) because I have no
longer have Full Exchange Administrator access and I have no idea how to get it back.
I have done
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296487) that process. However I am still not able to get access to Full Exchange
Administrator access. I also used the same account I used to install Exchange 2003/Forestprep/Domainprep. This account also
still has the "postmaster@.com". I also cannot change that. The remove and add is greyed out in AD. The error windows that I
get when I try to delegate the full access through the wizard is, "Failed to remove permission from on this object: .", and
"the delegation wizard could not grant/change permissions for: ."
Now, that is the general problem and what is
happening. I would like to know if there is any solution that I can do that does NOT require me setting up the entire domain
again, that is just not possible right now.
From here on out, I will give details to how I got here and what
happened. I put it here because I don't want everyone else to have to read the whole post, only the top. Alrighty, here is
the history of how I am here:
1. Installed SBS2003, but didn't add as Domain Controller. Installed Exchange 2003,
did Forestprep/Domainprep on domain but not as DC. I did authorize the computer to do the change to the domain. Everything
worked as it should have.
2. Server started shutting down because it needs to be a DC. So then what I did was I
FORMATTED the OS partition. I did not do an uninstall, and a /removeorg on the setup to remove the current installation of
Exchange 2003. In hindsight, I probably should have done that. However I didn't know that that was needed. That was my
mistake, and I will own up to it. However I will also check it off to ignorance. Now I didn't think much would change because
of the format. As such I reinstalled SBS2003, added it as a DC. Everything seemed fine and everything worked.
I did the same install on Exchange 2003 on the new DC'ed SBS2003. I did the Forestprep/Domainprep again, as the normal
installation is supposed to. Installed Exchange 2003 and got it working almost all the way. Except it errored out when I
tried to enable the information store. However no matter what I could do it would not start the service. As such I
UNINSTALLED Exchange 2003 using the uninstallation process that is outlined in the MS KB. The link is
(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125110(EXCHG.65).aspx), and that's the process that I used.
After I did the uninstall, I tried to do /removeorg again so that I can remove the organization and start a new (and clean
out AD) and get it working. However, now I cannot because I do not have Full Exchange Administrator access no matter what I
do. I also don't even have it EVEN if I use the account I installed Exchange 2003 originally from.