Some HTML messages come through as Plain Text in Outlook. Most of the
messages I receive are in HTML format, and most are displayed correctly. But
a few messages (always from the same senders) come through as Plain Text.
When an HTML message is not recognized as HTML and instead shown as Plain
Text, large portions of the message look like gobbledygook. After some study
I've figured out that what I'm seeing in the message is: 1) the internet
headers; 2) the message with embedded font codes; 3) the message in html code
with all text, font, and formatting as text. If the message includes a
picture, the binary data will be embedded as huge blocks of text.
I do not have the "show all messages in plain
text" option enabled. When I
tried it, the offending messages still showed the same HTML codes. This
problem started when I upgraded from an XP computer to a Vista computer,
although I don't see why this would make a difference. I suspect that the
senders of messages that display incorrectly may have something in common.
Maybe they are using the same email program that sends HTML in a slightly
different format. But it's difficult to check this because they are mostly
from email lists where I don't know the sender well enough to quiz them about
their email programs. Other people receiving the same mail from the same
senders don't have the same display problem.
I have checked all my email options and have tried many different
combinations without any effect. I do use the AVG virus checker, and I
thought maybe it was causing the problem, but changing options in AVG had no
effect. I checked the encoding on the problem messages, but they all seem to
have valid settings.