Hi; This is the 5th time I've posted this. Immediately below are my responses to suggestions received to my
previous posts. The description of the problem itself begins a few paragraphs down and is indicated.
tried running Outlook in Safe Mode (hold down CTRL when starting Outlook) but at least one corrupted email was
Rich Text format does not prevent corruption of email received by either internal or external
POP3 for incoming, SMTP for outgoing. Incoming provider uses a Baracuda for
AV/Anti-Spam. Not sure what the outgoing provider uses for AV/Anti-Spam, if any.
Prevous replies have
suggested the AV is causing it. However this does not seem to be the cause because: 1. We use MSE and I've been assured
by the MSE team that MSE does not touch the incoming/outgoing email itself (only the attachments), and 2. We tried
deactivating the AV software and the problem still occured. The MSE team had numerious other suggestions -- ex.
deactivate Windows Defender -- which we tried but they did not help.
DESCRIPTION OF THE
PROBLEM: We have about 20 Office 2010 installs, 20 to go. Emails received from 6 (so far) of those are occasionally (25%
of the time?) received with portions of the body text corrupted. Sections of the text will be replaced with 'random'
characters that have have look of HTML code.
Here's an example from the body of a received email:
"< p class= right now he probably won't be able..."
The original words preceding "right now" were replaced with "< p class =". Sometimes the
replacement text seems like random characters.
The email that is received corrupted appears as un-corrupted in the
sender's SENT box. We have numerous email clients doing the receiving -- ie. not just Outlook 2010 -- so I've
ruled out it being a problem at the receiving end.
We run MS Security Essentials for AV on all desktops.
We've discovered that if we change the Compose message format from HTML to Rich Text it seems to reduce the nbr
of incidents, but it does not solve the problem completely. I have also tried doing an uninstall/re-install, but
it did not help.
Internal and external recipients both seem as likely to receive a corrupted email
regardless of the format.
Please note that we are putting further installs on hold until we can get a fix, as this
is a serious problem made even more so by the unpredicatability of it and the lack of direct feedback when an error takes
place. Also please note that recently I noticed another user in the threads reporting the exact same problem.